Vocalist.org archive

From:  peggyh@i...
peggyh@i...
Date:  Tue May 8, 2001  6:05 pm
Subject:  Re: Opera on Radio in Washington, DC

Sorry, I left out those two Washinton Post links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30397-2001May1.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42026-2001May3.html

peggyh@i... wrote:
peggyh@i... wrote:
> Dear Vocalisters, especially those in the Washingotn DC Metro area:
In the last week, you've read posts on list about how the Washington, DC,
commercial classical radio station, WGMS,decided to drop Saturday afternoon
opera broadcasts, including the Metropolitan Opera.

Well, a bunch of us care enough to move beyond talk (literally and
figuratively), into action to get opera back on radio into DC.

Here's a web site, http://www.metmaniac.com , which has a link on the page to
"Keep the Met Singing in DC", which outlines the problems, and places to click
to find out what regular people like us can do - write letters, get friends to
write letters, etc. I encourage you to check it out and join in!

For anyone who wants more info (don't depend on my word), here are two links to
The Washington Post. One is an article written by music critic Philip
Kennicott, reporting the WGMS action, and the other is to the LEAD editorial in
last Saturday's Washington Post, on the same subject.

Peggy

---
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com