Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon May 7, 2001  7:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: trying so hard and still not good enough

I would just like to point out that some teachers grade according to the
progress you've made (here for instance), though in those circumstances
jurors unfamiliar with how you sang the previous year would have to apply
some other criteria.
From a more personal perspective: I've sometimes thought that I've really
nailed something, got lots of positive feedback, only to find, on listening
to a recording, that I'm still a long way from perfection. Further, I'm not
often impressed by a singer the very first time I hear her - the discovery
of beauty and aptitude of expression often has to wait until I can judge
the parameters within which that singer is working. If a singer's voice has
any originality of timbre it is almost inevitably a taste which I shall
have to accquire. john

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada