Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Mon May 7, 2001  6:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Trying So Hard and Still Not Good Enough

> as "Hello, Oh Margaret it's YOu" from the Telephone, and Rejoice
> Greatly O Dauthers of Zion" form the Messiah, "Willow Song" fromt he
> Ballad of Baby Doe, and "Saper Vorreste" from Un Ballo in MAschera,.

Hi Clarissa - IMHO that's pretty advanced repertoire for a 19 year old.
Perhaps you could explore the gorgeous art songs of old italian
composers, as well as those of Bellini, Verdi and others before tackling
arias. You do know that you probably shouldn't do an aria if you can't
sing the role, right? That's something Martina Arroyo told me when I
was about your age and it has served me well.

> All in all, I worked on 10 songs this semester. I AM mature. Last
> semester I was sexually assaulted the night before my jury, and I
> STILL went out there and did it, adn got A's.

That took a lot of dedication and strength. I hope and pray that you
are in counseling about this matter... as it will take a long time to
heal from this. Please seek counseling and support. It will affect
your whole life if you do not face it.

About practicing: I am advanced/professional and I do not practice for
more than 1.5 to 2 hours per day. I take frequent breaks and drink a
very large amount of water per day. Warm up slowly and work on scales
and easy vocalises at first. Then move into more complex vocalises.
Work on freedom... how free is your neck, jaw, throat, tongue? Have
specific technical goals in mind... what do you want to accomplish
today? Then move into the repertoire. Don't just sing them over and
over without a goal. Take your time with the arias... you have years
and years of singing ahead of you. That's just my opinion. Best of
luck to you :-)

Gina

emusic.com