Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Audrey (its SUCH a cool name !)" <letmusiclive4ever@a...>
"Audrey (its SUCH a cool name !)" <letmusiclive4ever@a...>
Date:  Sun May 6, 2001  12:36 am
Subject:  Re: Trying So Hard and Still Not Good Enough

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., > I just wanted to say that I get SOOO frustrated!!! I mean it seems
as
> if no matter how hard I try or how well I sing, I am never good
> enouogh. It sucks. I just finished my jury,and my grades ranged from
> an 88 to two 95's, and everything in between- the two 95's were from
> voice teachers I talk to regularly abput sinigng in general, so yeah
> they like me. It just sucks. I get so sick of comments like "Good
> potential" When I am singing my heart out. Does that mean I am not
> good yet but I might be someday? I wish I could tell every judge in
> there that I went into my jury hoarse,a dn that I had just barely
> gotten my high notes back after weeks of not having them due to
vocal
> misuse. I wish I coudl tell them I leanred four of my songs in 1
> month- the month OF my jury,after my teacher and I dropped them due
> to tooo mcuih techincal difficulty, or my not being able to get the
> high notes becayuse I was sick. I wish they could see so many
things,
> but that's not the case. they see me for all of 5 minutes, and just
> grade what they (think) they hear- some vocie teacher told my I am
> not a hgh soprano, when let's jsut say, mty friends play the "Let's
> see how high Clarissa can go" game). Do any of yall feel like I do?
> Like you will alwyas be the girl with the "pretty voice" and nothing
> more. BTW I HATE that comment. I don't want to have a pretty voice,
> I want a vocie that will blow peopel away. So if youa re one of
thsoe
> many many voice students who will always be the cute girls
> with "Pretty voices", or are just frustrated in any way, please
post.
> thanks yall!
>

> Clarissa

Clarissa,

First don't worry so much about your jury. Yes, it is very important
and you should take it seriously but don't hang your whole worth as a
singer on one day where a bunch of people who may hear about twice a
year for five minutes at a time. Even the most remarkable voice
teacher could not pick up on every aspect of your voice in this amount
of time. I'm sure the voice faculty at your school is remarkable but
all of them do not hear you on a regular basis. Trust in your voice
teacher. They hear you more than almost anyone else and they can tell
you which comments you should take with a grain of salt. As for your
actual number grades, they are just numbers, so as long as you got an
A don't worry about it. Everyone has their opinions and you can't
please everyone all of the time. Love your voice, but most of all love
yourself and don't let anyone else get you down.

Audrey

emusic.com