Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Sat May 5, 2001  1:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS)

the list of NOT WANTED also includes organ music. WCRB here in Boston
absolutely refuses to play it at all, except for the 20-minute AGO broadcast
which is now 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings!!! they mainly play just their "top
40". you hardly ever hear it on WGBH either anymore, and they do play some
eclectic stuff.

Merry Foxworth

> But even with the tremendous interest in vocal music at St. Olaf
> College and in the state of Minnesota, these stations have been
> listening to the public opinion polls that have been conducted by NPR
> and NPR claims that these polls strongly indicate that the public
> does NOT want to listen to any kind of vocal music during the
> broadcast. The list of NOT WANTED music includes, opera, choral
> music, solo singing, small group singing etc. in the Classical music
> genre.
>
> ,,,
>
> I have argued with the station manager repeatedly that this policy
> will develop an audience that does not know vocal music and it is the
> responsibility of all NPR stations to develop audiences for all forms
> of Classical Music. I make the point that it is the NPR stations
> that have been one of the primary venues to promote the playing of
> early music. 20 years ago little early music was heard on any
> broadcast media. Now it is common. It is also NPR stations thathave
> been the primary promoters of Historically Informed Performances
> because they continuously play the multitude of new recording done in
> this "HIP" medium.

emusic.com