Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  5:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The capabilities of Sibelius

Thanks, Buffy,
Korngold is the composer I credit with turning me onto 'classical' music,
because of his marvellous film scores, when I was a wee lad. The overture
to Captain Blood still gives me goosebumps and much joy.
I liked being able to see a more detailed score in playback than a midi
file would allow, although I continually had to scroll up to the top of
each new page. The software I use (Encore) would probably require a two
part process to get similar results: post .eps version of the score and add
a link to play a midi file.
The transposition feature works very swiftly and smoothly, and the result
is still legible. Low transpositions don't give us a bass clef, but it's a
small quibble. How else, even in a music library, could one find this song.
My first impression of the song (coloured by a poor sound card, perhaps)
was that it does everything right: soaring lines, characteristic motivs.
But at the moment I feel that it is too obviously calculated - here is a
composer who knows so clearly how to write an effective song that he can,
whether inspiration strikes or not - I don't think it did in this case.
Now, if a talented singer made an mp3 recording available...?
john