Vocalist.org archive

From:  lyricanon@y...
lyricanon@y...
Date:  Thu May 3, 2001  8:14 pm
Subject:  group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS)

WGMS, one of the two washington radio stations to carry classical music, has
decided to DROP the Met broadcasts.

this has created a huge outcry (esp on the opera-l list) a group of us from
opera-l have joined in a new group to PRESERVE opera broadcasts on radio
stations, particularly public radio stations which receive our tax funds.

we are just starting up, if you are interested, please join us. in a few days,
we will have some ideas of action (from writing emails to more proactive
things)...so join us if you can.

our goal will be to help preserve and promote the broadcasting of opera on
radio - as well as protest (in the case of WGMS).

a question to consider:
how important were the met opera radio broadcasts to you when you were growing
up (and maybe still today)?

to join go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/operaonradio

i am very passionate about this topic as the met opera broadcasts played a huge
role in my development as a musician. (i grew up in baton rouge, la). the
broadcasts were my only exposure to professional opera on a continuous basis.

i implore, entreat, beg anyone who is interested in helping - even if you will
just help us by sending an email.

thanks
ok, off soapbox.

elizabeth michel
ejmichel@p...
ejmichel@p...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11581 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Lisa M. Nuske   Thu  5/3/2001   4 KB
11588 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) MFoxy9795@a...   Fri  5/4/2001   2 KB
11590 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) dorisopran@a...   Fri  5/4/2001   2 KB
11592 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Karen Mercedes   Fri  5/4/2001   4 KB
11596 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  5/4/2001   5 KB
11605 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Jennifer   Sat  5/5/2001   2 KB
11591 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) dorisopran@a...   Fri  5/4/2001   2 KB
11600 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Linda Fox   Fri  5/4/2001   2 KB
11601 Re: group to preserve opera on radio (see WGMS) Margaret Harrison   Fri  5/4/2001   4 KB

emusic.com