Vocalist.org archive

From:  Xise@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] I'm all choked up

In a message dated 4/24/00 5:24:04 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

<< However I disagree that what I as the interpreter feel inside has nothing
to do with
projecting the emotion I'm trying to portray. I think it's extremely
important for we
interpreters to believe the text we're singing, as well as subtexts. >>

If you do not understand the feeling, how can you express it? When
projecting emotions in your singing as every singer should do, you have to
understand the emotion you are projecting and be true to the text. With
this I mean, that of course, you have to know what you are interpreting and
take it upon yourself to have the audience react to your portrayal of it.
But it is almost impossible to portray a foreign emotion because it will seem
fake. If you do not understand the emotion in your sensitivity, you may sing
beautiful notes but there will be no heart in your singing. The heart should
be outside your lips, and I mean that you should always be in control,
otherwise you just can't sing and make a spectacle of yourself by
weeping/sobbing or choking.

I hope you understand what I am saying. Thank you.

Regards,
Ximena

emusic.com