Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Wed May 2, 2001  3:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: cost of lessons

Else Kramer wrote:

>I think one of the problems with paying your singing teacher (or, more
>generally, any 'personal' trainer/coach) is that you can develop very
>personal relationships. I have been very good friends with most of my
>teachers so far, in fact maybe a bit too much because some of them always
>confide in me when it comes to personal problems, which takes a lot of time
>off lessons (must be my friendly aura)!

Unless it is clearly for the sake of the student's progress, if I use
a student's lesson to share one of MY personal issues, I have abused
our relationship. If your teacher does that with you, speak up about
it!

> And singing is SUCH a personal
>thing...most lessons are not only about technical stuff, but also about
>feeling, daring, etc. Paying your teacher suddenly reminds you that you are
>having a business relationship too, which can be a bit sobering.

I consider it essential to do a good job of taking care of the money
business so that both of us can be free to take care of the learning
business, which of course includes plenty about feelings.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

emusic.com