Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue May 1, 2001  3:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] a singing aussie truckie with a problem

Peter,
I must say I'm rather mystified, but perhaps your more detailed
description will ring a bell with someone else on the list. What is really
intriguing is that it can then disappear as you continue singing. To me the
question this begs is: what kind of burning sensation? Like a swallow of
whisky? Like a finger on a hot stove? Like a foot blister? Is burning the
best way of describing it?
If it goes away, is there any other kind of sensation in the same area,
say, the next day?
Now I don't want you to do any weird extreme stuff, but, regarding water -
it takes a while for the water you drink to find its way to all of the
places it's needed, so despite the psychological lift of drinking water in
between songs, you need to have been properly hydrated a couple of hours
earlier. Salt encourages the body to retain more moisture (but too much
can be a shock to the system, apart from other long-term effects).
Something that long distance runners have experimented with (but not me) is
glycerol, which assists the body in holding more moisture. 18 cans of
Foster's has exactly the opposite effect, as does just living in Oz. Yes I
am pulling your leg a bit (it's not always easy to tell in writing, is it?)!
All this makes me now ask: is it more a morning or an evening thing?

john
who thinks that if you can say FSU then why not FBE (Former British Empire)

At 08:18 AM 4/28/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello John, your interest is most welcome,thank you. My voice range that I
>generally sing in is low to medium,and it (the burning sensation) can happen
>anywhere within that. Volume, it appears to be a stonger sensation when
>singing loudly. Less painful when singing softly and I can usually continue
>on with the piece and most of the time after a brief period, it will then
>disappear. Does it happen a lot? In the past, no. Once in a while and I
>wasn't all that concerned about it., but lately it is more frequent. I have
>become (not paranoid I hope!) very concerned about it as I'm stopped dead in
>my tracks on it's occurance. 4 hours or more,are you having a lend of me?:o)
>After a couple of minutes, half an hour, time does seem to be a factor.
>Dryness. I drink alot of water during practice not because I'm thirsty but
>my teacher tells me it is a good thing to do. When I was watching my vocal
>chords working on the big screen, the doc was explaining to me how it all
>worked, even highlighted the mucus and how it lubricated everything. Your
>dryness point has just got me wondering, can this mucus lubrication
>intermittantly dry up? If so what happens and how does one go about
>reversing this.
>Once again thank you for your input.cheers peter.

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com