Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Tue May 1, 2001  12:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] David L. Jones Off List

Cuperto exercise:
I will describe it for a soprano. This starts on /a/, moderately
slowly: G-A-B-A-G-A-B-A-G (or similarly low in the range). Take a
breath, and switch to /u/ and leap two octaves to the G, with a nice
gentle slide. It is done lightly and softly. The mouth opening is
about the size of the tip of your little finger. Do a scale on the way
back down, bringing down as much of the head voice feeling as you go.
As a variation, if the two octave leap is too difficult, substitute one
octave. I believe the purpose is to blend registers, and take the
higher register down as low as possible to have overlap and ease of
transition. You can start it lower and then transpose it as you like.

It's easier to do than write about!

Just be careful not to get tense when attempting this exercise... stay
loose.

Enjoy,
Gina

> gina,
>
> can you tell me what the note pattern he uses for the 'cuperto'
> exercise
> is? he talks about it at length in his website without actually
> saying what
> it is.
>
> also, when i try to round my mouth (small, as he suggests) with
> high
> cheeks, i can't help feeling like i'm doing a renata scotto imitation.
>
> mike

emusic.com