Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 30, 2001  8:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice Lessons over the summer

In a message dated 4/30/01 3:36:56 PM, mightymezzo@h... writes:

<< Speaking from the viewpoint of my "real job," I would have wanted to know
that one particularly accursed customer we had a few years ago was ALSO
stiffing his landlord. We might not have been left holding the bag for $30K
in services otherwise. >>

While I agree that nobody should be allowed to "stiff" someone who provides
them goods or services, I understand that in many cases it is illegal to pass
along that sort of information. (I speak from a personal experience with a
similar "client" who left an agency that I worked for holding the bag for
huge media and printing bills.) Even if it's not specifically illegal, anyone
who does could be leaving themselves vulnerable to legal action--interference
with a contractual relationship, slander, that sort of thing. Sometimes the
law seems to favor the unscrupulous!

Incidentally, how would a voice teacher end up holding the bag for a lot of
money? Don't almost all require payment either in advance or at the time of
the lesson? Seems like any other policy would be too risky, especially with a
new student who is not a "known quantity."

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11509 Non-payment for lessons [was Voice Lessons over t Jeffrey Snider   Mon  4/30/2001   2 KB

emusic.com