Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  3:27 pm
Subject:  'closed'='vertical'?, was: Pavarotti and hour-glass passaggio concept

I can't speak for others' use but, yes this is starting to look like a
correlation. Maybe I don't like to say "closed" because it reminds me of
"covered". Also, I have a literal-minded streak which says: it's still
open, just narrower, *not* closed. On the other hand there lacks a sense of
anything *flowing out* of the mouth, which one may feel in lower notes,
perhaps because you don't *need* as much airflow. Hope I've added clarity,
not confusion. john