Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Mon Apr 30, 2001  3:46 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Voice Lessons over the summer

Jeffrey Snider wrote:

>In my world, for better or for worse, we are judged by our students.
>At UNT, we have a Voice Departmental Recital every week. We are a
>large enough program that we have 45-minute to hour programs with
>JUST voice students.
>
>Believe me, every time a student gets up to sing, the teacher is
>judged. And, in severe cases, poor performances by students can mean
>dismissal, failure to receive promotion and/or tenure, or loss of
>merit salary increases. And I bet it's better here at UNT than at
>many other institutions!
>
>It may or may not be right, but this is reality.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with it. I would expect that use
of the weekly recitals by students to evaluate the work of their
teachers creates an environment not particularly conducive for
learning. I guess I should be glad that I have a private practice in
which I am free to choose what sort of relationships to create with
my students.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet