Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Sun Apr 29, 2001  10:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Voice Lessons over the summer

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., wrote:
> there seem to be several issues confused here; 1.) the right
of the
> student as a customer to be satisfied. 2.) the right of a teacher
(as
> worker) to be paid for work done. and 3.) the reputations of
teachers based
> on the product of their students.

As with so many fields of human endeavor, there are two sides to this
issue. One of the hardest things I had to do as an undergraduate
student was to chagne voice teachers. I literally had to "lubricate"
myself with a pitcher of beer first! It was like breaking up with
someone. I told myself, however, "I have one voice. She will have
lots of students."

Yes, lots of teachers take credit for students that they don't
deserve. And yes, unethical things happen all the time. For what it's
worth, I have never heard of a teacher "reporting" a student for non-
payment. Not that it's a bad idea! Every time you apply for credit,
they make it "their business" to find out to whom you still owe money!

All of this said, I cannot encourage or condone a student studying
with someone "secretly" even over a period such as summer or
Christmas break. If a teacher has a big problem with that, then I
would consider changing teachers.

-JS

emusic.com