Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sat Apr 28, 2001  8:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] need advice

Hi, Stephanie! If I had to give you advice, it would
be to keep on taking lessons -- do you have a
wonderful teacher you just love to work with? If
you're lukewarm about your teacher, you might want to
think about taking sample lessons with some others,
but if you're happy with the training you're getting
now, then stick with it. Your voice is the most
important thing to get in order -- practicing, being
super concentrated and focused during lessons,
learning your music on time, and generally being a
good student and a sponge for the training.

Listen to *everything* -- pop music, musical theater
music, classical music that's not opera (choirs and
early music and crossover singers like Charlotte
Church or Sarah Brightman), opera recordings, folk
music, a cappella groups, barbershop -- just
everything you can get your hands on. Is there a
certain type of music that you keep returning to, that
you find yourself humming during the day, a type of
music that you can really imagine yourself up on a
stage performing and having a blast? Give yourself
time, look at all the options, and follow your heart
and what kind of music you really love.

Also, consider what it would take to make a career out
of singing the different types of music. Do you have
the body and image for pop music? Are you a good
actress and do you love the stage, for musical theater
music (and would you mind also learning jazz/tap)? A
cappella groups are great fun but there aren't very
many of them, professionally, outside of colleges.
"Making it" in pop is even harder. Can you write your
own music, if you were to think about being a
singer/songwriter? Do you have the type of voice that
feels good in choral music, and would you like the
lifestyle of singing in a big choir for a living?
Think about what "making a living" in every type of
music would be like, and decide if you would like to
work hard and make sacrifices to do that.

That's what I would advise you to do: With half of
your energy, concentrate on making your voice the best
it can be, putting in the hard work during lessons and
during your practice sessions. With the other half of
your energy, listen and learn and think about what
type of music you would like to sing. It's much
easier to give you "here's how to go about making a
career" advice once you have a general idea of the
type of music. The step-by-step advice for becoming a
professional choral singer is much different than that
for becoming a pop icon.

Isabelle B.

--- Stephanie <smf78@i...> wrote:
--- Stephanie <smf78@i...> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
> I don't often post, but have learnt a great deal
> about singing.
> I was wondering if anyone could help me.
> My desire to sing has always been there but until
> now I haven't pursued it
> (apart from starting lessons about a year ago)
> Now I would like to do it as a living.
> However I don't really want to sing opper so what
> are my options, and how
> do I get there?
> Thanks for any advice.
> Steph

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte, ibracamonte@y...
San Francisco, CA
moderator of Vocalist: the mailing list for singers
(vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11461 Re: need advice Stephanie   Sun  4/29/2001   5 KB

emusic.com