Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Fri Apr 27, 2001  11:17 pm
Subject:  Voice Lessons over the Summer

There's been some interesting feedback regarding this topic, both pros &
cons.

I occasionally go to a voice coach vs. studying with my regular voice
teacher. Most times it is because I am preparing for something that
requires more piano skills than my voice teacher has & other times it is
because my voice teacher is taking off an extended period of time in the
summer. My teacher encourages me to do this, although, this particular
coach is also her coach. My husband is going to see someone to coach in
preparation for an audition, again, at the encouragement of his voice
teacher...who happens to be his voice teacher's voice teacher (am I
confusing you yet?). I find this sort of funny that so many paths cross
in the music world in Chicago since it's a big city but they do.

I guess my point is it might not be a bad idea to ask your voice teacher
at school if he/she knows anyone in the area in which you'll be spending
your summer. Having another person's input can be quite helpful,
especially when you are facing a particular vocal problem that your
teacher at school hasn't been able to help you overcome. An alternate
teacher may find some way to explain what you need to do that your
regular teacher hasn't thought of.

Two other thoughts: 1) Find out if there are any choruses in the area in
which you'll be spending your summer that don't require auditions in
January or February. This way you'll have the discipline of going to a
rehearsal on a weekly basis and, typically, these groups work much faster
than groups that meet during the "season" so there will be the discipline
of having to keep up with the music. 2) If you have connections with any
local churches, ask to be put on their summer music schedule. Having to
prepare for a performance, especially in front of a group of people who
have never heard you before, is a motivation for me to keep up with my
singing, even if it is on my own.

Enjoy your summer (singing)!
Pat