Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Tue Apr 25, 2000  5:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] I'm all choked up

Janet Bookspan once said in a masterclass that "if the character cries, you can
sing right through it, but if YOU cry, you will always get choked up." It does
come to a point of practice, though. You have to allow yourself to do it first
(to sob) in order to find out how to steer those emotions into the character.
I can't really explain it, but I've done it and I know how it feels.

I was in a production of Yeston's "Phantom" and I had to sing my last lines as
though I was weeping. It is a strange transformation you go through, but when
you are completely "in character" the emotions are somehow outside of you. I
never willingly "faked" my sobs, but they somehow came out naturally, and when
the scene was over, I was totally myself again. When I wasn't completely
concentrated, the emotions hung on for a long time afterward.

Does this make any sense?

Lisa-Marie

Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct

emusic.com