Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  5:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Placement and mouth position

--- Dolphin aura <dolphin_aura@y...> wrote:
> My college voice professor tells me that I
> should
> place the tone/sound/resonance in my nasal
> area,
> however, it seems to make everything I sing
> sound too
> nasal. Also, she is telling me to keep my lips
> "numb"
> and only move up and down, like an oval type
> shape.
> This is hard for me because I went to a
> different
> college last year and a different voice
> professor who
> told me to move my mouth as much as possible.
> wide
> for e and so on.
> I was just wondering what technique is most
> commonly
> used or helpful.

The one that gives you results. It's very
difficult
to "read" either of these suggestions as they are
rather general. i have found in 18 years of
teaching vocal pedegogy each student has
different needs due to the shape of facial and
bone structure. Where one student needs to
create space another might have sufficient
natural open sound. Another student may
need more "forward" placement. It depends
on the individuals need. I find teaching rather
like molding a piece of clay. Keep it flexible
and find the best possible way for you to make
"free" beautiful sound then build in strength and
stamina.
Best Wishes,
Nancy Fontana

=====