Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Tue Apr 24, 2001  11:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Recording Studios

Lloyd, et al:
This thread has gotten my attention because the choir that I sing with on
Sunday mornings will be doing its 2nd professional recording in a few
weeks. The recording is being made in the space that we perform in vs. a
studio.

I did not sing on the 1st recording but have purchased it &, in spite of
criticisms of the singers on their own performance, mistakes, etc., the
recording has a nice, fairly authentic sound to it (in regards to the
acoustics of the space). Do you think singers making recordings for
auditions would be better served by making them in a space they typically
sing in, if possible?

Pat

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:33:38 -0700 "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> writes:
<lloyd.hanson@n...> writes:
> Dear Mike and Vocalisters:
>

> You quoted me and wr ote the following:
> >In a message dated 4/23/2001 12:11:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> >lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
> >
> ><< The singers least affected by this phenomena are those whose
> > recordings were done in a proper sized hall or were recorded live
> in
> > performance. >>

(snip)

> Your comments are logical and not a slight bit cynical. Fine! But
> the difference between recording for a professional recording or a
> professional CD are quite different from the recording a student
> will
> make in a voice studio. The former is intended to sell recordings
> or
> the singer to an impresario. The latter is a record of what the
> singer learned in the studio and offers the continuation of that
> learning process between lessons.

(snip)

> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice, Pedagogy
> School of Performing Arts
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011

11419 Re: Recording Studios Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  4/26/2001   4 KB
11424 audition tapes (was: Recording Studios) Isabelle Bracamonte   Thu  4/26/2001   2 KB
11427 Re: audition tapes (was: Recording Studios) Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  4/27/2001   3 KB

emusic.com