Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Mon Apr 23, 2001  11:48 pm
Subject:  Young large voices. Was Re: [vocalist] Recording Studios

----- Original Message -----
From: <Greypins@a...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 23 April 2001 14:38
Subject: Re: [vocalist] Recording Studios

> if there has been a demise in opera singing in the last thirty or
forty
> years, i would be more inclined to blame larger opera houses and the craze
> for big voices.
>
> mike

I'd have to disagree here. I think that the major problem is the
requirement for younger singers. everyone has to be established by the time
they're 30. Fine for the smaller voices that tend to mature earlier (and
they're not exactly out of fashion here in the UK). Unfortunately you get
lots of unprepared larger voices in inappropriate roles, and then lots of
middle aged ex-singers with no voices! I'd give Jose Cura as an example of
someone who could have done with a few more years serious training before
attempting Otello and the like.

Colin Reed, tenor
Almost 30, not yet established :-(
Newark, UK