Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Apr 23, 2001  5:25 pm
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes contre???

Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...> wrote:
> what do you make of Mark Padmore's voice? I heard him sing the
> Evangelist in Bach's St. John Passion last year and his voice
sounded a
> bit 'hard/metallic' at times and it seemed as if he was pushing a
bit
> as well.

Hi Ingo, this isn't the first time I've heard this about Padmore - I
haven't heard him live myself. One thing that I should mention is that
he usually sings "normal" tenor. He goes into haute contre mode to
sing low alto for polyphony and for the French rep.

I've occasionally sung in the haute contre way in polyphonal
situations, and have to say it does require some "hardness of tone"
since one is carrying the characteristic tenoristic edginess (sharply
distinguished harmonic bands in the upper spectrum) rather high
without the big open operatic space to balance things out.

All classically trained tenors have this edge, its just that the
operatic ones have a lot of "backspace" resonance to round out the
tone. The baroque ones will be more ping than pong. This is unless the
natural voice is extremely light and high (I'm thinking Werner
Marschall here) so that it is not a "manufactured" sound as it is in
my voice. Marschall is probably singing with a completely open throat,
so he gets space and ping together for a naturally rounded tone.

Tako

emusic.com