Vocalist.org archive

From:  chenweijie81@y...
chenweijie81@y...
Date:  Mon Apr 23, 2001  5:49 am
Subject:  Re: Who are hautes contre???

Dear Tako,
if haute contre have such a high and light chest voice,does that
affect the volume of the sound in their chest voice???Well chest
voice could be loud and strong if used wisely.It sounds completely
different from the kind of voice production for a baritone.A baritone
would most probably bring the head voice down and connect it with his
chest voice.From what u have said,it's as if the haute contre don't
have to bring his head voice down at all since he himself have such a
high chest voice.I wonder if they sounded like real counter-tenors...
.

Weijie
Natural Baritone

chenweijie81@y... wrote:
> > Why are they rare???I wonder why... .
>
> Whoops, forgot to answer this part...
>
> The haute contre production usually requires a naturally high tenor
> voice, which is rare in itself. On top of that, it requires a
seemless
> break which is difficult to come by (though one can train for it).
> Having a very high, light chest voice makes it easier to make the
> transition, because the chest and upper voice timbres are more
> similar, than if a bass-baritone were trying to do the same thing.
>
> Some hautes contre can't even tell when they switch.
>
> They are especially rare now, because it is not in style in
classical
> music. Tenors with rich ringing high notes have been the rage for
over
> a century. Just no demand except in specialized circles like early
> music or popular folk genres.
>
> Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11329 Re: Who are hautes contre??? Tako Oda   Mon  4/23/2001   3 KB

emusic.com