Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
"Lisa M. Nuske" <earthbounddiva@w...>
Date:  Sun Apr 22, 2001  2:50 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Dealing with Anxiety When Performing

Linda Fox wrote:
>... My second teacher told me, just before I passed, that he thought I
waould be a >smashing driver...

I think part of what creates anxiety is that we tend to concentrate on the
things we think will go wrong or are afraid will somehow not be as good as
the rest of what we are singing instead of the positive.

In other words - if you think something will go wrong, it will... If you
think you will be nervous, anxious, etc., you will. But, if you feed
yourself positive thoughts and concentrate on the things you do really
well - you will be better. That is not to say you shouldn't know the
technical things that you have to concentrate on as well.

You have to tell yourself how good you are before you sing - you have to
pump yourself up. Remember all the wonderful things people have told you in
the past after they've heard you. Remember how well you sang for your
teacher, how well you sang in your house, how well you sang in the practice
room. This is all you should be concentrating on before you perform.

Try not to evaluate your performance as you are singing - instead, think
about the present. After the performance, you can evaluate your performance
and identify what worked and what didn't.

Whenever I go into a performance thinking all the good things, remembering
to stay in the present and remembering the technical thoughts when they're
necessary - I have been very successful.

The more you perform, the better you get at this. So, before your big
performance - try to perform your literature in some smaller venues - this
also helps tremendously.

Good luck - this is definitely an issue we, as performers, are overcoming
every day!

Have a wonderful day!

Lisa M. Nuske
Soprano and Voice Teacher
Appleton, WI
http://home.att.net/~earthbounddiva

You are the music while the music lasts.
~ T. S. Eliot ~

emusic.com