Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Apr 22, 2001  12:24 am
Subject:  Historical use of vibrato in baroque music

> you can more safely say, is that no directors who
> have based their
> practices on research can be certainly pronounced
> "wrong" - which is
> what Isabelle was suggesting.

It is my understanding that the "historically
authentic" practice that blossomed in the 1980s of
singing Baroque music with as little vibrato as
possible has since been debunked by the majority of
scholars on the subject. But again, as I'm not an
expert on this subject, I leave it to our other
historians and professors on the list to either refute
or affirm. My understanding is that the current
scholarly opinion does not support the straight-tone
method of singing early music that came into vogue a
couple of decades ago.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte, ibracamonte@y...
San Francisco, CA
moderator of Vocalist: the mailing list for singers
(vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com)

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

emusic.com