Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Dealing with Anxiety When Performing

> I would be interested to hear how some of you opera
> singers deal with
> anxiety (stage fright) when performing on stage.

The physical symptoms of fear (rapid heartbeat,
shallow breathing, sweating, etc.) are the same
physical symptoms you get when you're excited. So I
convince myself that I'm excited, and I try to channel
it into my interpretation of whatever song I'm singing
(e.g. in stead of thinking "I'm so nervous because I'm
afraid I'll forget the words or my voice will crack or
they'll hate me" I think "I'm feeling excited because
my character is in love" or "I'm really angry because
X has just happened in the opera"). I find it
intensifies my concentration, adds to my
interpretation, and helps me get over my nerves
quickly.

Another thing I like to do is exercise before I sing.

Jennifer