Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  5:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The AH vowel

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> PS. With all of my imagination and manipulation and years of
> experience, I am completely unable to make any form of the UH vowel
> sound forward or upper such that it will sound like the AH vowel in
> "File" without greatly distorting my vocal tract and creating strong
> amounts of tension.

Out of interest, do you make any distinction between "love" and "laugh"
(I'm talking about singing now, Lloyd :o) or is that just in UK
pronunciation. (apart from the final consonant of course)

PS while typing this I'm listening to a CD of Purcell's Come Ye Sons Of
Art, and am grinning at the memory of my oh-so-prim niece being in
trouble (it was called a "demerit") for the first and only time in her
school choir when they sang this, because on the phrase "grant, oh
grant", she and a friend were making piggy noises because they thought
it came out exactly like "grunt, oh grunt". I guess this only works in
southern English pronunciation.

cheers

Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11314 Re: The AH vowel Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  4/23/2001   3 KB

emusic.com