Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 24, 2000  8:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MUSIC FUN: An anachronism that beats them all!

In a message dated 4/24/00 2:04:15 PM, mightymezzo@h... writes:

<< I turned on the TV
and caught the last half-hour of "The Greatest Story Ever Told," depicting
the resurrection of Christ and his Ascension.

And what was playing as the underscore for these final scenes?

"Hallelujah" from Handel's "Messiah"... which was composed 1,700 YEARS
after the events being depicted. >>

Dear Elizabeth:

At least it wasn't something from the Damnation of Faust or the Sorcerer's
Apprentice! ;-) (Or Jesus Christ Superstar)

In fairness, though, they had the right subject matter, and I'll bet anyone
would be hard-pressed to come up with truly period-appropriate music for the
resurrection.

But I think that I would have tended to choose "Worthy is the Lamb" and the
"Amen."
That final A in the soprano section always gets me!

Judy

emusic.com