Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 19, 2001  1:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC

In a message dated 4/18/2001 6:27:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dalila@R... writes:

<<
I think it was very effective in what it meant to do, which was to make
the listener think differently about the song - instead of being a
rousing, inspiring patriotic expression, it was a musical deconstruction
that was entirely irreverent. We're talking about youth subculture in the
(anti-)Vietnam era, after all. >>

one thing that is important to remember about hendrix was that he served
in the military for a year and a half as a volunteer (until he broke his leg
in a paracute jump). and it wasn't until after he had been playing the
'star-spangled banner' did he begin to feel the war was a bad idea. in an
interview with dick cavett around the time of woodstock, hendrix seemed to
indicate that song meant something to him and he was just doing his rendition
of it as he heard it.

mike

emusic.com