Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Apr 18, 2001  10:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Patricia M Smith wrote:

> Karen:
> Your point is well taken but I'm hard pressed to agree that Mr. Hendrix's
> rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" is effective.

I think it was very effective in what it meant to do, which was to make
the listener think differently about the song - instead of being a
rousing, inspiring patriotic expression, it was a musical deconstruction
that was entirely irreverent. We're talking about youth subculture in the
(anti-)Vietnam era, after all.

Now, if you don't happen to like Hendrix - well, there's a difference
between not liking him and accusing him of not being effective.

For example, I detest Alban Berg's music, but I have to admit that both
Wozzeck and Lulu are very effective. Just unpleasant for me to listen to.\

=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
We're sitting in the opera house;
We're waiting for the curtain to arise
With wonders for our eyes,
A feeling of expectancy,
A certain kind of ecstasy,
Expectancy and ecstasy....Sh's's's.

- Charles Ives

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11367 Bach MAGNIFICAT editions Karen Mercedes   Tue  4/24/2001   3 KB
11368 Re: Bach MAGNIFICAT editions John Link   Tue  4/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com