Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Wed Apr 18, 2001  4:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC

Karen:
Your point is well taken but I'm hard pressed to agree that Mr. Hendrix's
rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" is effective.

Perhaps it's time to just hope that we've all helped a student get ideas
together to get their project off to a good start.

Pat

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:43:06 -0400 (EDT) Karen Mercedes
<dalila@R...> writes:
<dalila@R...> writes:

> I don't know that I agree with you. I think the ability of a certain
> piece
> of music to be adapted to another genre reflects much more on the
> ability
> of the person doing the adaptation than on the presence or absence
> of the
> influence of the adapted-to genre on the original musical creation.
>
> You'll see what I mean when you turn your logic around the other
> way:
> take, as an example, the Jimi Hendrix rendition of "The Star
> Spangled
> Banner". By your logic, the originator of the drinking song that
> supplied
> the melody on which Francis Scott Key set the text of the "Star
> Spangled
> Banner" would have had to have been influenced by "acid rock" music
> as the
> only explanation for why Hendrix's adaptation of the song to the
> "acid
> rock" genre was so effective. By the same token, I doubt that many
> of the
> peasants who originated the traditional folk tunes that were later
> adapted
> by Vaughan Williams, Percy Grainger, Benjamin Britten, et al were
> even
> AWARE of classical music let alone influenced by it.
>
> KM
> =====

11195 Re: CLASSICAL IN MODERN MUSIC Karen Mercedes   Wed  4/18/2001   3 KB
11367 Bach MAGNIFICAT editions Karen Mercedes   Tue  4/24/2001   3 KB
11368 Re: Bach MAGNIFICAT editions John Link   Tue  4/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com