Vocalist.org archive

From:  agoldhammer@y...
agoldhammer@y...
Date:  Mon Apr 16, 2001  4:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Chronic Coughing

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., nothing
> else does. Only problem is it makes me sleepy, so unless I am just
having an
> awful allergy problem I just take Allegra, which works pretty well
too.

If you get the same effect from Allegra and it doesn't make you
drowsy stick with it. Zyrtec is an excellent drug but doesn't have
quite the same side effect profile as Claritin and Allegra.

What
> about allergy shots?

Depends on the allergy. They are more effective on seasonal allegies
of severe symptoms, e.g., asthma. less effective for dust mite
allergies.

> I read in the paper last week that within the next year or so some
sort of
> injection that will STOP allergy symptoms will be made available to
the
> public.

this is a new drug being co-developed by Genentech and Novartis. It
is an antibody that will block the effects of IgE which triggers the
allergic response. It's still in clinical trials and more safety
data has been requested from the FDA. There was a press release last
week that they expect to submit a license application late this year
or early next. The early clinical data has been quite good.

emusic.com