Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
"Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Sun Apr 15, 2001  4:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 635

>Message: 16
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:20:52 -0700
> From: "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
>Subject: Re: THE AH VOWEL AND OPERATIC SINGING
>
>Is that not 7 vowels? It seems reasonable to include "awe" (IPA as
>backward /c/) and "EH" (IPA as /E/
Yes, they are seven.

>Yes, English has a total of 14 to 18 vowels depending on what
>authority one uses. It is a at best a bastard language that has
>many, many fathers.
And so, if a singer does vowel modifications, it's easier to distort a 14-18
vowels language than a 7 one. I think this was Caio's idea.

>Message: 21
> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:27:25 -0300
> From: "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
> From: "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
>Subject: Re: THE AH VOWEL AND OPERATIC SINGING
>
>Italian seems to have seven, but 2 of them vary dialetically, if I'm >not
wrong.
>Him:
>> Or is it 7 vowels as I mention above?
>
>Again, I think all their dialects share 3 vowels while their 'e' >and 'o' vary
locally. It's already been talked about on the list, >but I don't remember
exactly what was concluded.
To say the truth, if we take into consideration all dialects, the wowels are
many (at least 10). And, even leaving apart pure dialect, and considering
dialectal variations of standard Italian, all basical vowels vary locally.

But there is a thing to say: the three wowels you are talking about
(/a/,/i/,/u/) are unical in standard Italian, so their local "variants" are
rather understood as the basical ones.
Someone could say: "That guy is from that town, his /a/ is a bit more
forward/backward etc".

With the other two (or better: with the other written two and spoken four!)
vowel it's easier that it can happen that a basical is substituted with another
(closed with open or vice-versa).
So, someone could say: "That guy is from that town, he uses /o/ instead of /O/".

bye
Vale

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!