Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Sat Apr 14, 2001  10:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Strained/Swollen Vocal Chords

You can usually use your midrange for short periods, gradually extending
your range over a week or ten days. Don't push. Inhale steam 5 minutes two
or three times a day, once after vocalizing.

If you don't get all your range back by a few days prior to your jury, ask
the doctor about a steroid inhaler. If you use it, it is ONLY for
improvement for the jury. DO NOT push your voice after that but go back to
the gentle vocalizing and steam until your voice recovers naturally. DO NOT
continue to use the steroid after the jury.

Or if possible, get it rescheduled.

Steroids are only for when you absolutely, positively must sing and can not
avoid it.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine

> Well, I just came back from the doctor, and he said that I
> probably have swollen vocal chords...
> he really couldn't tell me what to do aobut the sweelg, except,
> "Don't use your voice" does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! I
> have my jury in 2 weeks so any help would be appreciated!

emusic.com