Vocalist.org archive

From:  Howitt123@a...
Howitt123@a...
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  10:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] allergies, asthma, and stage fright

I too have suffered from performance anxiety for years. I have asthma and so
am not able to use the beta blockers. I decided to find a way to deal with
this anxiety. For a start, you have probably regarded learning technique as
a process. You can look at learning to handle your nerves as a process too.
You need to learn what it is precisely that causes the fear. With my voice
students and clients (I am an MFT intern as well) I use visualization as well
as other techniques to help them understand what it is that causes the fear,
and then to visualize and actualize a new learned response. The anxiety is a
learned response and you need to find a way to unlearn the anxiety and place
a relaxation response in its plcae. Deep breathing, mediation and
visualization all help. Also setting attainable goals in each performance
helps. Your goal may be to sing a particular rhythm correctly or to sing a
particular phrase with expression. Each time you attain that goal,
acknowledge that fact. Also be patient with yourself. Learning to perform
is a process. You will make mistakes. We all do. Accept what you have each
day and make the best of it. There are lots of good books out there to help
you start. You can read A Soprano on her Head---and others. Good luck and
have fun exploring this part of performance. That helps to take the pressur
off.

Audrey Howitt

emusic.com