Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 13, 2001  5:21 am
Subject:  Your favorite books

It's been a while since the good old Vocalist booklist
was updated: What are you favorite books?

I absolutely adore Joan Dorneman's book _Complete
Preparation_. I don't think any aspiring opera singer
should be without it. I read it again and again.

I also love love LOVE the little Dover paperbacks
about the old-fashioned singers and their biographies
and lives (the one with Tetrazzini/Caruso, the one
with Lillian Nordica's letters home, etc). These are
wonderful for inspiration, when I need a whiff of the
great art form in the midst of all the vocalising and
headshots and day-to-day business of the world of
opera.

I find biographies are also very inspiring. I just
finished one of Tebaldi called Voice of an Angel.
Even when the biographies are totally sugarcoated and
a romaticised version of the diva in question -- in
fact, more so then, just for the inspiration factor.

I have found technical books (like Miller's Training
Soprano Voices and others) interesting but not
necessarily among my favorites.

You?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte, ibracamonte@y...
San Francisco, CA
moderator of Vocalist: the mailing list for singers
(vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com)

11166 Re: Your favorite books Karen Mercedes   Mon  4/16/2001   4 KB

emusic.com