Vocalist.org archive

From:  BdwayDiva1@a...
BdwayDiva1@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 12, 2001  5:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Chronic Coughing

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Patricia M Smith <vocalist-temporary@y..., Patricia M Smith < > Did you move to North Texas shortly b-4 the coughing began? If this
is a
> new environment, you may have developed an allergy that you
previously
> were not aware of having. This could be a starting place in
determining
> the cause of your coughing.
>
> I couldn't say if it is damaging your vocal folds...an ENT could
tell you
> that.
>
> Pat

Hi Pat!
Yes, I moved to North Texas in late august from Austin, which is not
only the capital of Texas, but the Allergy capital of Texas as well.
I have very severe allergies and allergy-induced asthma and have
tried EVERYTHING- Seldane-D Allegra-D, Claritin, shots, a combo of
Afrin, salt water (squrited up the nose) and antibiotics (For my
chronic sinus infections)Beccanase, flovent and Ventolin and
becolovent for asthma, and I am contantly sucking down cough drops
and hoeny straight from the bottle to soothe my throat. Halls makes a
ton of money from me! those poor little bees have to work extra hard
because I am single hadnedly increasing the demand for honey in
America. I think that it may be very possible that I have developed
another allergy. I am allergic to practically everything that grows
from the earth, and circulates around the air. I would be fine on my
trips back to Austin (coughing wise) but as SOON as I got to Daenton-
BAM!I was coughing up a storm. It is SOOOOO hard to do juries, when
the only thing I can think of is whether I can keep my nose from
running, or avoidiong coughing or sneezing for 6 whole minutes. I
desperately want to do Opera professioanlly, but allergies and
asthma, along with ACUTE stage fright makes it SOOOOOOOO hard!!!!
Does anyone have ANY advice? Any words of wisdom would be greatly
appreciated! :) Thanks! :)

Clarissa

BdwayDiva1@a... writes:
> > hey everybody! I'm new to Vocalist! My name's Clarissa and I am a
19
> > year old soprano, studying with one of the members here- Dr.
Jeffrey

> > Snider,a t the University of North Texas. Anyways, I just have a
> > real
> > quick question. I have had a chronic cough for about 7 months
now,
> > and I am not a smoker. Is this doing damage to my vocal folds?
It's
> > not a constacnt cough, but it happens at least 2-3 times a day of
> > sustained coughing spells. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> >

> > Clarissa
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

11070 Re: Chronic Coughing agoldhammer@y...   Thu  4/12/2001   3 KB