Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jennifer Fretwell" <jfretwell@h...>
Date:  Mon Apr 24, 2000  7:05 am
Subject:  Climb Ev'ry Mountain for lyric voice?

My voice teacher has me working on Climb Ev'ry Mountain from the Sound of
Music. It occurred to me the other day that this is a very dramatic piece
best suited to a heavy voice. I can sing it and the tessitura is comfortable
but, after listening to a recording of it, I don't think I'd be heard over
an orchestra if I had to perform it. I am a high lyric mezzo who is
"faching up" to soprano right now. I certainly don't think there is
anything remotely dramatic about my voice (I don't have a huge voice). I
guess I will be asking my teacher why we are focusing on it but I wanted
some input from the list. Is there a reason why a lyric voice would learn
this piece? Is there some value for lyric voices to work on this piece even
if it is never performed?