Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  7:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Should Singers Swim?

In a message dated 4/10/01 1:33:11 PM, dorisopran@a... writes:

<< About the foot problems: get thee to a podiatrist! Perhaps orthotics
would
help you enjoy walking again. I need the larger ones for my sneakers and
hiking boots and the smaller ones for dressier shoes, and I have several
friends with the same experience. One friend got orthotics before she had
problems. I have yet to find out how or why she was so farsighted. (She's a
pianist and a Ph.D., so maybe that would explain it.) Your podiatrist will
also advise you about stretching and will diagnose the cause of and address
whatever pain you are experiencing. >>

My experience with a podiatrist was less than wonderful. Mine wanted to keep
giving me repeated injections of cortisone, which can have serious side
effects. He wanted to sell me ugly shoes. And he wouldn't even tell me what
the cause of my problem was! (My feet were quite painful even when sleeping,
or doing something completely sedentary like watching a movie, which had me
really puzzled.) So I did my own research.

Anyway, one cause of foot pain can be the enlargement(?) of the sheath(?) of
a nerve in the ball of the foot. I've also seen it called a benign tumor. (I
believe it's called Morton's neuroma.) The cause is unknown, but women are
more prone to it than men, so some suspect that tight shoes or high heels may
be the culprit. It can easily become inflamed and the pain can be quite
excruciating. If you have this condition, orthotics may not help much if at
all.

I finally got my internist to prescribe a round of anti-inflammatory
medication (it's a stronger version of Aleve) and I've barely been bothered
at all since. I can take my dog for long walks and even RUN again, and jump
etc. And I don't wear ugly shoes!

Judy

emusic.com