Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  5:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Should Singers Swim?

Leslie wrote:

>OK, I have finally had it with my peri-menopausal weight gain. I have been
>a walker for so many years that it isn't doing me any good anymore, and
>besides I am having all kinds of problems with my aching feet.

I would suggest seeing a Feldenkrais practitoner about this issue. In
my practice I have helped a number of people learn to walk in a way
that their feet became much more comfortable. I expect that any of my
colleagues could provide the same sort of help. To find a Feldenkrais
practitoner near you, visit http://www.feldenkrais.com. Contact me
directly if you'd like recommendations.

> I DESPISE
>exercise and ESPECIALLY DESPISE sweating. Swimming is the only exercise that
>I can even bear to think about doing on a regular basis, but somewhere in the
>back of my mind it seems I have heard that singers should avoid swimming
>pools like the plague. Is this true? It seems to me that it might be
>beneficial to the breathing apparatus.

I swim twice a week and use my swimming to improve my breathing and
movement generally. Jump in!

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet