Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  5:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Should Singers Swim?

In a message dated 4/10/01 11:18:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, leskayc@a...
writes:

<< Swimming is the only exercise that
I can even bear to think about doing on a regular basis, but somewhere in
the
back of my mind it seems I have heard that singers should avoid swimming
pools like the plague. Is this true? It seems to me that it might be
beneficial to the breathing apparatus.

I agree that swimming is wonderful exercise for gals in our phase of life.
I also remember a bit on television some time ago about a Met tour and it
showed Flicka vonStade and a bunch of other singers plunging into a hotel
swimming pool. Don't give credence to whatever you may have heard about
swimming being contra indicated for singers.

Why don't you also try the stationery (or 10 speed outdoors in good weather)
bike? Start with very little time and effort on it and gradually, gradually
build up, and reward yourself each time with swimming your laps or the sauna
or both, whatever you enjoy.

About the foot problems: get thee to a podiatrist! Perhaps orthotics would
help you enjoy walking again. I need the larger ones for my sneakers and
hiking boots and the smaller ones for dressier shoes, and I have several
friends with the same experience. One friend got orthotics before she had
problems. I have yet to find out how or why she was so farsighted. (She's a
pianist and a Ph.D., so maybe that would explain it.) Your podiatrist will
also advise you about stretching and will diagnose the cause of and address
whatever pain you are experiencing.

Swimming is wonderful exercise for everyone, especially singers, but we all
need to "cross train," and stretching is crucial. We see more and more
reports from the experts about how so many people are not exercising enough,
about the ill effects of a sedentary life and the positive effects of getting
oneself moving.

Doris, one of the New Jersey sopranos

emusic.com