Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  2:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] question on soprano's enunciation

In a message dated 4/10/01 2:45:06 PM, LYNDA313@a... writes:

<< One note however : Carlisle Floyd said once in a workshop Q & A, in
answer to my question about diction on all those repeated b flats: "...come
back, O lover! Come back, blue flame!...etc" in "Trees on the Mountains"
from SUSANNAH, "I don't care what you sing up there once you get there! Just
sing the notes!" Several sopranos who had recently struggled with those
phrases heaved a sigh of relief. :) >>

Hi Lynda! I'm glad that we are basically in agreement on enunciation. Here's
how I'd interpret Floyd's comment. Given his "druthers" he'd prefer to have
the text clearly enunciated--otherwise he would not have written the aria as
he did. However, if it interferes with the soprano's ability to sing the
note, he was willing to compromise the text-- which is, after all, highly
repetitive and not pivotal to the plot.

Judy

emusic.com