Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  2:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] question on soprano's enunciation

Judy writes: <<It's perfectly possible for sopranos to enunciate clearly on
high notes...Carlisle Floyd gives Susannah lots of words on
high bflat...
Everything does not have to become a vocalise above the staff!

I agree. Nearly everything can be made understandable, even though vowel
modification to the next vowel on the vowel "ladder" may be necessary.
Consonants can nearly always be negotiated at any pitch. One note however :
Carlisle Floyd said once in a workshop Q & A, in answer to my question about
diction on all those repeated b flats: "...come back, O lover! Come back, blue
flame!...etc" in "Trees on the Mountains" from SUSANNAH, "I don't care what you
sing up there once you get there! Just sing the notes!" Several sopranos who
had recently struggled with those phrases heaved a sigh of relief. :)

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy, Soprano

emusic.com