Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Tue Apr 10, 2001  6:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Asking questions about acid reflux from a new guy here again... .

Dear Weijie,

Chest pains can come from a variety of causes, the delineation of
which would be beyond the scope of this post, and perhaps this list. If you
are not bothered by heartburn or vocal problems, IMO, it is unlikely you are
having significant reflux problems. Nevertheless, smaller more frequent
meals would still be a generally healthier approach than two large meals;
and can be managed with some planning, whether one lives in the city,
suburbs, or country. Furthermore, it is simply not logical to expect taking
large meals to reduce reflux.

The purpose of placing blocks (about 6 inches worth) under the legs
at the head of the bed is to raise the head of the bed so that gravity helps
to keeps the stomach contents within the stomach rather than refluxing back
up into the esophagus. One may also use large foam wedges at the head of
the bead; but not pillows as these may actually aggravate the problem by
flexing the neck and spine which may increase intra-abdominal pressure on
the stomach thereby increasing reflux. .

Foods generally will not "neutralize" acid in the stomach in any
significant way. Certain foods, such as spicey foods may stimulate gastric
acid secretion, but even so-call alkaline foods will lead to only a
temporary decrease in gastric acidity. The stomach eventually will just
make more acid. Again, the key to treatment of GERD is prevention of
reflux, not just reduction of gastric acidity. Finally, lozenges will have
no effect on gastric acidity unless they are also antacids; but even then,
the effect would only be temporary.

GWendel, MD, PhD, FACC (and more importantly...tenor)