Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Apr 9, 2001  4:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Young dramatic soprano rep

From LE NOZZE DI FIGARO, you should look at the Countess's arias instead
of Susanna's. Also Elettra's arias from IDOMENEO, Fiordiligi's arias from
COSI FAN TUTTE, and Konstanze's arias from DIE ENTFUEHRUNG AUS DEM SERAIL.
These are your best bet from Mozart operas.

From Verdi, you might take a look at Leonora's arias from LA FORZA DEL
DESTINO, Amelia's arias from UN BALLO IN MASCHERA, and possibly Aida's
arias and Elvira's arias from ERNANI. Also look at the soprano part from
Verdi's REQUIEM.

Other possibilities are "La mamma morta" from Giordano's ANDREA CHENIER,
and "Senza mamma" from Puccini's SUOR ANGELICA, and "Un bel di" from his
MADAMA BUTTERFLY (possibly also Manon's arias from Puccini's MANON
LESCAUT). Also "Ebben..Ne andro lontana" from Catalani's LA WALLY.

In the French repertoire, take a look at "Il est doux, il est bon" from
HERODIADE, and "Pleurez mes yeux" from LE CID, both by Massenet. Also
"Divinites du Styx" from Gluck's ALCESTE.

From von Weber's DER FREISCHUETZ, look at Agathe's arias. ANd look at
"Gluck, das mir verblieb" (Mariettalied) from Korngold's DIE TOTE STADT.

The young Wagnerians I know all seem to start out with "Einsam in trueban
tagen" (Elsa's dream)
from LOHENGRIN, "Johohoe!...Traft ihr das Schiff"
(Senta's ballad)
from DER FLIEGENDE HOLLAENDER, and "Dich teure Halle" and
"Allmaecht'ge Jungfrau" from TANNHAEUSER.

IN English, take a look at "My man's gone now" from PORGY AND BESS.

There are a few dramatic mezzo arias that seem to turn up in young
dramatic sopranos' repertoire on occasion: "O don fatale" from Verdi's DON
CARLO, "Voi lo sapete" from Mascagni's CAVALLERIA RUSTICANA (a
"zwischenfach" role), Giovanna Seymour's aria from Donizetti's ANNA
BOLENA, and Adalgisa's short aria from Bellini's NORMA; also "When I am
laid in earth"
from Purcell's DIDO AND AENEAS.

In English, you might try "Embroidery in childhood" from Britten's PETER
GRIMES, and "My man's gone now" from Gershwin's PORGY AND BESS.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html