Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Apr 9, 2001  3:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] THE AH VOWEL

lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> . It is the position of the
> tongue mostly, plus the raising of the soft palate (how that should
> be done is another matter) the opening of the pharyngeal space etc.
> all of which is required to achieve any given vowel sound.

OK.... Of course the soft palate raises, except for nasalized sounds, and it
is done via slightly various manners due to differing morphologies (hatch
door Vs purse string). However, is this really an issue that needs to be
addressed with singers that do not exhibit nasality? Then you need to
consider if the velum is dropped, is it because of other factors such as a
hiked up larynx and/or tongue retraction?

The focusing on the velum, when nasality is not present continues to amuse
and confuse me. However, if you were not really bringing up the need to lift
the velum if it's not an issue, disregard this post ... it will self destruct
in 10 seconds LOL.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10964 Re: THE AH VOWEL Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  4/9/2001   2 KB

emusic.com