Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Apr 8, 2001  7:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The AH vowel, placement

> Yes, and, Isabel, isn't it something like
> biofeedback when you make the
> proper sound and your teacher indicates when you've
> got it right, and you
> remember the way that felt?

Yes, exactly. And I find a "feeling/sensation"
approach to correcting and approving than talking
about a bunch of physiology which, while interesting
to know, doesn't translate into how it feels to sing
very directly.

"Placement" teachers will often say things like: "That
A was too far back in the throat. Think forward, like
the tone is bouncing off your teeth. No, that wasn't
quite it. Concentrate on the tone moving out from
your upper lip and travelling very far away, to the
end of the balcony seats. That's it! Tell me what
that felt like, tell me what you were thinking." And
then you OWN the feeling of an A; that sensation is
something you can drill into your voice and come back
to in any context and on any vowel. That frees your
brain up; while your body sings on "feel," your mind
is free to work with interpretation and all other
aspects of singing other than tone correctness.

(and, from another post)

> Sensations- YES, they are an important part of the
> vocal process. Can we literally "place" a sound
> somewhere- highly unlikely!

But all the "placement" theory means is that a student
learns what a particular type of singing FEELS like
and learns to recreate it based on that feeling.
Everybody knows that the larynx does not produce sound
in the front of the mouth -- the term "placement"
refers to the sensations, not of course to the
physiology.

Perhaps we should rename it... because I am aware that
there are teachers of the school that Lloyd decries,
who teach particular manipulations of the face (such
as the "smile" position) and call that "placing" the
voice -- as there are teachers of the "scientific"
technique who talk about Grey's Anatomy and produce
horrible singers as well (bad apples in every tree).
Perhaps the "placement" technique should more properly
be called the "sensationalist" technique?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA