Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 7, 2001  5:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

earthbounddiva@w... writes:

<< I continue to believe, though, that if I perform only for an audience -
then
I am working too hard to please everyone else and it strips energy from my
performance rather than feeding it. In our private sessions, we talked
about people who are givers and takers - I'm a giver, for the most part. As
are many musicians. Because of that, I'm in danger of handing over my
performance to other people rather than taking ownership of it myself every
time I perform. We want to please everyone all the time - this is
impossible. If I can please myself (that is, if I feel I sing and perform
as well as I can), then likely I'll be making other people happy at the same
time. If I worry about what people are thinking of me the whole time I'm
performing, then I just give away everything I work so hard for.

Lisa

Very well put, Lisa! I think I know now why those words were used, although
maybe *anything* should have read as *everything.*

emusic.com