Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 7, 2001  3:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

In a message dated 4/6/01 11:16:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LMorgan923@t... writes:
LMorgan923@t... writes:

<< ... our primary motivation can't be gaining the audience's
approval. I think one of the reasons that some people get such awful stage
fright is because they're worrying too much about whether or not the
audience will like them, or their voice, or what they do with the music, or
whatever. I find that approaching a performance (or an audition, for that
matter - one of which I have tomorrow) with the thought of having music that
I love which I want to share with the audience keeps me from being nervous
and makes me a better performer because my focus is in the right place. >>

Of course, Lee, I agree with you 100%. Perhaps the idea of not giving away
anything to the audience meant what you just said. Once a collaborating
guitarist peptalked me through the worst case of stage fright I ever had with
words very much like yours. The idea then was to convey all my love to the
audience while focussing on the music, so it's still hard to reconcile with
that idea of not giving anything to the audience.

emusic.com