Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Apr 7, 2001  7:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

<< 1) Alma talked about that as performers, we have to perform for
ourselves, not the audience, or any other reason, and we need to take
ownership of our performances by not giving anything away. >>

if alma is a former olympic athlete, this idea makes more sense.
sports are executions of athletic skills contested either directly or
indirectly. they are not performances for an audience. an athlete who is
distracted by performing for the crowd may make the worst choice for the
winning of the game.

while there might be many lessons to be learned from sports and vice
versa, sports and the performing arts are essentially different. the sports
that are closest to the perfoming arts; figure skating, diving, synchronized
swimming, are more like auditions than performances.

there is a lot to be learned from even a biathlete ( cross-country
skiing and shooting ). the ability to go from pushing one's endurance to
suddenly executing a delicate action is what this sport is all about. this
type of athlete might have some useful ideas for handling running all over
the place in one scene then singing a slow aria with pianissimo high notes in
the next. this athlete would probably not be the best choice in giving
advice on how to get the audience more involved.

in golf, for example, the 'showier' the shot, the higher the risk.
choosing to show off is most often choosing the opposite of of what is needed
to score well. boxers who are not 'brawlers' who suddenly decide to 'mix it
up' with their opponent are not only risking a loss but also serious injury.

i wonder how much vocal performance alma thomas (that is her name, isn't
it?) has had, if any.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10917 Re: Power Performance for Singers Workshop Lisa M. Nuske   Sat  4/7/2001   3 KB

emusic.com